Already another week has flown by- my roommates started back to school wednesday just as I was preparing for my first test in culinary school. Our first t
est like any other professional school consists of a written exam, but the difference for us is following the written exam we have a practical in which we make products that show our knowledge of the different methods chefs use in patisseries. This test covered sponge, creaming, and cut in method. These methods were demonstrated by producing not only edible but attractive almond macaroons, chocolate chip cookies, and buttermilk biscuits.
I was confident for the written portion of our exams and very at ease about the practical part. We had over three and a half hours to complete and present our products which aloud plenty of time to re-do products if necessary. As I said before I was not nervous about the exams, but the tension in the room was obvious especially for my younger classmates who just graduated from highschool. We were not allowed to talk or help anyone during any portion of the test which was difficult at times especially when I saw one of my friends chocolate chip cookie batches turn into something resembling a hockey puck, but a las I kept my mouth shut.
Over all the results for both my test were A's -a great confidence booster in deed! The next day we moved onto a very excited item called pate a choux, this is a french pastry that is cooked on the stove that is a save all in the kitchen. It can make appetizers , keep your mash potatoes creamy after freezing and thawing and is the base dough of eclairs and cream puffs. We made elcairs and swans (yes the bird) and filled them with chentilly cream and chocolat
e pastry cream. They were quite beautiful and I was disappointed that I have no pictures of my swans to share with you because my cameras battery died! I promise there will be plenty more photo opportunities for pastry swans to come! I did however manage to get some pictures of the scones, bicuits and quiche loraine we made earlier in the week that are featured above.
I also started my new job this week, and its just wonderful! The people I work at remind me so much of my days at my dads animal clinic and I'm catching on to the inventory system fast. My boss even gave me a free cake today that someone did not pick up. I wished I could have sent it directly to animal care clinic when I opened the box to discover a big sparklely pink pig cake! Donna Preston would have loved it just as much as my roommates love my work benefits!
So, pressing on and enjoying every minute of it!
6 comments:
Kim - I'm having great fun reading about your school. Thanks for all the details. I guess that is one of the things I missed not having any girls - I have never gotten this many fun details about school during all the semesters of Nathan's and David's combined! I know you are doing great work and it is fun to see how much you love it. Have a great week and keep up the sunny attitude. Love, Aunt Char
Hey Kim! I'm so glad to read that school and work are going well. Congratulations on the exam grades!We all miss you at the clinic, and I'm sure Donna would have LOVED the pig cake! Look forward to seeing you soon.
-LP
So, I think for those of us who aren't close enough to benefit from your school work, it is pure torture to post such gorgeous pictures of such yummy looking food! Miss you girl!
How can you love and hate someone all at the same time???? I want to be younger and be with you having the time of my life. Do you have any old lady classmates? Love, Shirley
i'm sad i never got to try the apple pie. for shame!
Kim, this is the first time I have looked at your wonderful blog. I saved the sight you had written in a card and found it the other day during some cleaning and organizing. I have read through it all. You are a wonderful writer. I love the pictures. And I believe you are in your element. I hope you are having a wonderful externship. So proud of you. Love you, Sharon Dickson
Post a Comment