Thursday, April 23, 2009

The Bon Bombay



As promised, this post is all about our most recent and delicious assignment- create your own candy bar. Chef Marc had his plate full literally of all different kinds of flavors from the strange to the most appetizing. Many of my class mates took this opportunity to get creative with their flavors, for instance my friend Abby made a walnut brittle, candied bacon, and bleu cheese ganache candy bar. It was definitely what I would call an exotic treat, but for those of us that enjoy the unusual, we found Abby's candy bar to be a wonderful taste bud adventure! Others chose to go with a traditional combo like my friend Katy. She made a wonderful chocolate caramel with candied cashews and yummy dark chocolate delicious and definitely a classic! They were all wonderful and a great chance for us all to put our creativity on display. So, you may be wondering- what did I make?
Well, I decided to go for something off the beaten path, after all , unusual flavor combinations is kind of my style! Anyways, over the last couple of years I have come to love Indian food, the spices are so different from any traditional American flavor but seem familiar at the same time when combined with chocolate. So I created what I called the "Bon Bombay" Its four layers from top to bottom are : a curry gananche (that's white chocolate, cream and curry spices), a toasted coconut filling, cashew crunch, and sesame seed brittle all covered in a delicious dark chocolate shell. Although this candy bar is not your usual find in the supermarket check out line the sweet and spicy flavors combined with a bit of crunch and a lot of chocolate made for a winning combo- chef said it made a colorful presentation and was a well thought out combination of flavors. Needless to say I was pretty happy with the result of my "risky" choices. So maybe if your lucky I'll make you a batch sometime. :)

No comments: